Sunday, January 19, 2014

Broccoli & Bacon Salad

 At our Sunday school party last month, a friend brought this Broccoli & Bacon salad. I don't normally like broccoli, but my plate was full of carbs and I needed something green. Plus I thought with bacon it must be good. And, it was good!

I made it for Christmas Eve lunch with family and we all liked it. Well, except the picky kids. We also shared leftovers with other family and friends, and the verdict was good from them too. It makes a lot and doesn't stay well long, so it is perfect for a potluck.


Kati's Broccoli & Bacon Salad

4 broccoli crowns, cut very finely
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup cooked and chopped bacon pieces
3/4 cup mayonnaise

Combine bacon jam and mayo in a medium serving bowl. Mix well. 

Add all other ingredients and toss to coat.

If possible, chill for 2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to mix well and settle in.

*Note: HEB is a local grocery store. I'm not sure if this product is made by other regional stores as well. Here is a recipe for bacon jam if you couldn't find it in store. If you had to make your own, I would just coat the salad well using your eye as the measurement. Or, I would just use a salad dressing with a bacon flavor in place of the mayo and jam.