Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Abby Lu's New Bedroom

In converting Abby Lu's new bedroom from our guest room, I wanted it to be really soft. Her playroom is loud and fun and colorful, but I wanted this room to be a place of rest from the "noise" of the room next door. I didn't have a lot of money to spend on this one, so I focused all of my funds on the bedding and blackout drapes. All of them are from Pottery Bark Kids via eBay!

Her bedding is a collection of teapots on a pale pink background called Julianne. It came out years ago and I always loved it. I was happy to find the duvet cover and 2 shams for less than $100 on Ebay. I looked at bedding for days and surprised Abby with this. I didn't seek her opinion first, but kept her tastes in mind. Knowing how much she plays tea parties, I knew she would like this one. I have a white box pleat dust ruffle being hemmed and then should complete the bed.


Her nightstands don't match and that is okay with me! The white one on the left is from IKEA and she was using it in her room. The right mirrored one, used to be in her room until a game of catch turned into a chipped corner. It had been in the garage to donate, but I decided to just glue the piece back on and make it work for now. The chest at the foot of her bed is perfect for holding blankets and a great spot to sit at when putting on her shoes. You can see a tiny corner of the pink shag rug we used from her old room. 

The rod iron bed was originally red and with 3 cans of spray paint, it became a soft pink. 

Her white Hemnes dresser from IKEA and artwork from Small Words Art along with my favorite bow holder complete the "dressing" area in her room. I love walking right to her dresser without toys challenging my path!


On the short wall between the closet door and the entrance I used a painted chair from Goodwill. You can see it's transformation here. It helps bring in the vintage vibe I was hoping for. Next to it is a basket of her favorite bedtime stories. I had the basket forever and just spray painted it blue with paint I had in the garage.


The wall art is something I have loved for years and first blogged about in 2011. Using embroidery hoops of various sizes from Hobby Lobby, I added scraps of fabric and used coordinating washi tape and created a unique and inexpensive wall display.  


 On the other long wall, opposite the dresser, I used left over Anitbes Green chalk paint to personalize a white Hobby Lobby framed bulletin board. Abby loves to look at pictures of her and her friends and it is a great place to display little awards and medals she has received.


Her left nightstand has an old Pottery Barn kids lamp, a rustic tin flower purchased in Round Top, our favorite prayer, and her alarm clock. The green bucket on the bottom shelf houses all of her jewelry.


The right side of her bed has a fun rustic blue subway art purchase at Pier One imports years ago and along with the matching green lamp, a picture of her with me and my Mom and princess Kleenex. Her lampshades were originally solid white and I added a little hot pink paint to the trim. 


I just love her new little girl room! My favorite part- she looks like a little bitty thing in a queen size bed which is just what this Momma loves to see!