Sunday, October 21, 2012

Beach Readings


My husband and I just got back from a 9 day trip to Hawaii! It was beautiful, relaxing, fun, and all around wonderful! We didn't have a whole lot on our schedule, so I did a lot of reading and thought I would share my books with you.


I read 5 books in 9 days. It was so nice to be poolside and not watching a 3.5 year old. I read for hours on end. I cried, I laughed, and I forgot where I was which is hard considering the view!

St. Regis Princeville Resort and Spa
 We stayed at two different resorts while in Kaua'i and had access to another. I loved propping my feet up in the sun or shade, sipping a cold drink and reading away.

Grand Hyatt Kaua'i Resort and Spa
I used my e-reader for most of the books, but brought along a paperback in case I had technical problems. I find reading on my Kindle goes so much faster! I also learned nobody knows what you are reading when e-reading and you don't end up talking to strangers!

Westin Princeville Ocean Villas Resort
 Here are my five reads while in Hawaii and a few thoughts on each:


Same Kind of Different as Me: This book made me think and it made my ugly cry. It will absolutely give you a heart for the homeless and make you want to be fearless in pursuing your passion or Christ's call in your life.

Disengaged: I read this one next- I needed light and funny and got it. It covers a young girl who is engaged and having second thoughts that she can't decide to blame on wedding jitters or serious relationship doubts. You'll love her, be frustrated by her and sympathize with her. It also has a hilarious and embarrassing surprise near the end.

The Dinner Party: This one merged with Disengaged for me. I should not have read them back to back! It follows two best friends who are grown and dealing with dating, marriage, adultery, miscarriages, divorce, and more. I love books centered around women and relationships so I liked this one a lot.

Glass Castle: This book is based on the true life of the author, Jeannette Wells. It details her life growing up in extreme poverty with poor influences and non-traditional education. It really made me think about what is neglect and how good intentions can still lead to bad results, how selfish parents can destroy families, and how difficult it can be to "outgrow" your parents.

A Walk Across the Sun: I finished this book at about 3 AM on the plane ride home and didn't want it to end. The story weaves the lives of 2 girls from India kidnapped for sex trafficking with a DC-based attorney on a sabbatical. It is fiction but based upon real life circumstances and broke my heart. I will never forget Sita and will look at missing posters of young women differently because of it.

I loved each of these books and was so grateful to have good reads on our trip! If you can only read one- I recommend A Walk Across the Sun above all others.