Monday, August 27, 2012

Low Carb Zucchini Boats

My husband and I are trying to eat low-carb, so when I came across these zucchini boats I wanted to give them a try. Oh, people, these are good! You don't even realize you are missing something important like pasta! They are super filling and really an impressive dish for a crowd.


The boats are made from hollowed out zucchini. I used a small strawberry huller I have from Pampered Chef. A melon baller or grapefruit spoon would work really well too.


The hollowed zucchini is flash boiled and the pieces you removed and cooked with hamburger meat (or sausage), red peppers, onion, garlic and seasonings.


The boats are then topped with marinara and both mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Seriously, so tasty! I subbed ground hamburger for Italian sausage and I used their homemade marina recipe, but you could easily use store bought. I added some crushed red pepper and made them spicy.


I would highly recommend these zucchini boats. Find the recipe here.