Thursday, March 15, 2012

Custom Subway Art DIY

Remember here when I showed you paint samples and had you guess what room I was planning to paint turquoise? Well, this past weekend, the paint was purchased and is on the walls! I love my new turquoise laundry room! The finished product is here and I love it! I wanted to share my technique for making subway art custom made to match my fabric. This technique is super easy and makes everything come together in a room!

This is the fabric that started it all! It can be found online at fabric.com and is called Secret Garden Paprika by Michael Miller. I knew I wanted a turquoise shade for the room and also wanted some red. I dream of a red washer and dryer! 

When I found this subway art on Pinterest- I loved it! I can't spend much on decor- it isn't in the budget and it is a laundry room for goodness sake! My husband would never understand "art" in the laundry room! I loved the words and design of this one, but I didn't love the colors.
 Here is my recreated subway art to perfectly match the fabric in my laundry room. Looks pretty good, huh? 

Here are the tools you need:

Computer software for handling graphics, fonts, etc. You don't want to use word unless you have lots of time to play with text boxes. I used my digital scrapbooking software- Scrapbook Factory Deluxe. I have had it for years and make so many things with it!

A color HTML tool, like this free one! You simply download the free software, paste your photo and then hover over a color you want the HTML code or RGB numbers for. I grabbed the sample photo of my fabric from the website where I purchased it and used that.

I made my art an 8x10 and printed it on 8.5x11 paper. You type your words, change the fonts and select your custom color. It was easy, free, and looks great!