Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Duggar's Homemade Laundry Detergent

I made my own batch of laundry detergent earlier this month. I have never felt so domestic! It smells great, I know exactly what is in it, and it is so much more economical. I posted on Facebook my new detergent and heard great reviews from friends that have used it.




I will admit I have never noticed, much less purchased, the ingredients used in making soap; however, they must be popular as all three are on the laundry aisle at Wal-mart. It doesn't get much easier than that.

The only real step is grating the Fels-Naptha bar of soap. It totally looks like cheddar cheese and smells like lemons.

Here is the full recipe- It looks like warm yellow soapy water when all mixed up.

Of course I had to make cute labels for my oh so boring bucket. You can get a free copy here.

The label on the lid tells you how much to mix with water and how much to use with each load. The label on the side of the bucket is the initial mixing directions for future batches of detergent.

It cost me about $10 to make this batch which includes the bucket, a big boxes of washing soda and Borax. Next time (which will be in 6-12 months), I will only have to buy a new bar of soap which is less than $3!

That is a real savings and makes this worth a try!