Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Handmade Cupcake Toppers

There are so many cute cupcake toppers on Etsy and while I love them all, I can't imagine paying more than $1 to add a small decoration to a cupcake that people will throw away.
For the Sugar and Spice shower, I made cupcake toppers over breakfast. It was fast, easy and cost me next to nothing. I printed "Ella Dane" (her name) on white basic copy paper sized at about 1" wide and 1" tall. I also printed "sweet thing" on a sheet of paper. You can get about 18 to a sheet. I then punched them out with a 1 3/8" punch from Stampin Up. I then attached those circles to scalloped punched printed paper.

Using a very small piece of shipping tape, I taped a toothpick to the back of a topper. This kept the toothpick securely in place. Scotch transparent tape might be strong enough as well.
Then, add dimensional tape (found in the scrapbook aisle) to the same back side of the topper.
Attach a second scalloped punched topper to give you a 2-sided topper with a toothpick in the middle.
Make as many as you need- different prints, different sayings, be creative!
I transported mine in a baggie and poked them into the Cookies and Cream cupcakes onsite.
Don't spend money on cupcake toppers anymore- these are easy and very inexpensive!