Monday, June 6, 2011

Homemade Banana Pudding

It is summertime and that means lots of outdoor dinners, BBQs, and picnics in Texas! I love taking a light and cool dessert and this banana pudding is one of my favorites. Although I originally got the recipe from my Dad (who is a fabulous cook!), he doesn't remember it. Who knows where it came from!
I've made sure to share all the ways you can reduce the fat and calories inside without losing the rich flavor. A little can go a long way with this one!

Dad's Banana Pudding

1 lg box vanilla pudding (I also like to use banana pudding)
8 oz. cream cheese (you can go fat free on this one!)
1 c. Eagle Brand Milk
3 c. milk (2% works fine, too!)
1 t. vanilla
8 oz. Cool Whip (fat free of course!)
3-4 chopped bananas
vanilla wafers (why yes, Reduced fat works!)

Mix all ingredients together and chill overnight. Bananas will brown up in this dish as it sets- just chop up the bananas for garnish just before serving. I also like to add a few wafers at the end so you get a few crunchy ones in there.