Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Flooring Dream Come True

I love hardwood floors. I have never ever had hardwood floors, so I have always admired them from afar- in the homes of my friends, my family, or in blog land. This past week, my little flooring dream came true and my new hardwood floors were installed.
We bought our home in March 2008, it was less than 2 years old and had perfectly new and clean carpet. We toured a home just like ours down the street that had hardwood that I loved, but it was missing a few other features. We knew this was the house and that flooring would come eventually.

I was thrilled when they started ripping up the carpet. It revealed a lovely pad underneath.
The lovely pad revealed a wonky slab underneath! It was at this moment that I was so glad I paid someone else to do this project.
The end of day one...
After 2 days, my new flooring was complete! Our goal was to match the mantle and kitchen cabinets since both are visible in this room. It turned out to be a great match. We bought laminate hardwood called Acapella Jotoba from Lowes.
It is a Brazilian wood with wide planks and just enough sheen.
I think it transitions nicely from the tiled hallway. If I had a million dollars, I would have ripped up the tiled hallway and cover it in the flooring also. But, I think this works well.
Since we were adding new floors, I went ahead and made 2 new small additions to the space... starting with my new GATHER sign from Sundance catalog. I have been looking for something to put up here for over 2 years. It needed to be big and this did it at almost 5 feet long and 2 feet tall.
We put flooring in the formal dining room also- these rooms are open to each other.
I was always so leery of eating in here with kids since it was carpeted, but now we can use the space more, starting with Thanksgiving!
My other new addition- red buffalo check lamp shades. These were not affordable in the Ballard Designs catalog, but I found them at Stein Mart! Score!
My new checkered shades replaced the Brick Pomeroy Check shades from Ballard Designs. I don't need them anymore and have a set of 6. If you are interested, I will sell the 6 for $40 which includes shipping. They retail for $16 each. Just email me at annajenk@yahoo.com. I'll be placing them on eBay soon.