Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Easy Sausage Jambalaya Recipe

I don't ever make Cajun food, but I found an easy recipe in a cookbook and decided to give it a try. I think I was always scared to Cajun food because I don't eat seafood (except the Fried Fish at Luby's and most people don't count that!) and it is usually part of the recipe. This sausage jambalaya had no shrimp and was easy and really flavorful.
The cast of characters- note the pre-cut onions and peppers. Those make my life so much better. Have you seen the new Squeeze Garlic? It is high in the "why didn't I think of that" category! You literally squeeze out the portion you want- no dishes to clean, no smell to get off your hands, nothing! Bring on the garlic-filled recipes!
I love sausage so I thinly sliced the whole link. You could do this with homemade sausage or something from a local BBQ joint and make it even better. I opted for the "lite" sausage. That made the dish fat free, right?
Here are the onions, bell pepper, celery and sausage cooking up in the pan. The smell was wonderful!
Once that has cooked 5-10 minutes, you just add rice, 1/2 can diced tomatoes and water and simmer it for 20-25 minutes.

Here is the full recipe for you-

We served ours with cheddar garlic biscuits.... a perfect cold weather Sunday night supper!