Monday, October 5, 2009

World Famous Tortilla Soup

I love soup season and am always looking for new and easy recipes. Soup is so good for you- most are low in fat and contain a good source of meat, veggies and cheese!A few weeks ago, I had Tortilla Soup from the Marriott Rivercenter and they proclaim it to be World Famous. It was really really good. They shared the recipe with me and it is really really easy which is just as important in my book. Here is the recipe for you!

1 Large Diced White Onion ( I used frozen chopped onion)
3 large diced tomatoes (you could use canned easily)
4 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 cups picante sauce (I used Pace and my husband thought I had used my Dad's homemade salsa)
3 chicken breasts (I used 2 cans of chicken)
Salt, Pepper and Cumin to Taste
Cilantro, Cheese and Tortilla Chips as you wish

In a large pot, mix the following: chicken broth, tomato, onion, picante, salt, pepper and cumin. Summer for 10-15 minutes. Cook chicken breasts and set chop up. Or, just open your canned chicken :) Add to soup and simmer for another 10 minutes.

Place in bowls and add cilantro, chips and cheese to taste. You could easily add avocado or sour cream to soup as well. It tastes like it has simmered all day!