Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My First Nursery

I love reading blogs, especially those that focus on babies. I have so much fun getting ideas from other Moms and watching them go through all of the stages I am or have been going through. I enjoy reading a blog, Spearmint Baby, and they have a featured nursery post each week. You get to see other nurseries and get ideas. The blog is featuring Abby Lu's nursery next time around and I couldn't be more excited to share!

Before I had my daughter I had a million nursery ideas running through my head and then when it was finally time to decorate, my Mom, husband and I had a blast creating her perfect little space. My husband's only request was that it include clouds, so that was our jumping off point.


I love Mary Engelbreit but didn't want her pieces exactly. I wanted a whimsical space that mixed light and bright colors, vintage and new fabrics, and used handmade items where I could.

With the hand painted flowers that match her bedding and the happy fluffy clouds, we hung letters, white shelving, a replica vintage clock from Target, and a wooden sign from a local craft fair. Her bookcase was a great space saver and keeps her for toppling over a big bookcase later in life. It was from Pottery Barn Kids and much cheaper than most large bookcases. It did not come in white, so we bought it in beige and spraypainted it white.


The bed is an inexpensive Graco piece from Target and the bumper and quilt are from Pottery Barn Kids. Rather than use the full "Abby" matching set from PBK, we combined the floral pattern with gingham with a special detail- ribbon, ric-rac and pom poms.

The bed skirt provided inspiration for her curtains. They were inexpensive white panels from a home improvement store. My mother sewed on ribbon of various widths and patterns, ric-rac and the pom poms. I was able to buy a large spool of pom poms and the ric-rac on eBay for much less than the stores charge for a small package.


On the wall opposite the window, we hung 3 photos- myself, my daughter and my husband as a young baby. These simple frames were on sale at Kohls and came with boring white mats. I bought a large piece of matboard at Hobby Lobby in pink and had them cut it down.
The cloth bag inside her chair holds dirty clothes when she is older and stuffed animals for her now. It is made in the colors of the nursery and from fabric that belonged to my husband's grandmother.

The final corner of her room houses a small table and 2 chairs for future tea parties. The table is actually a nightstand from the Back to School 2008 dorm collection at Target and the pink stools were very inexpensive from IKEA.

I hope you have enjoyed touring Abby Lu's nursery and are inspired to have fun in your own space.